Asset and Inventory Tracking
Using Asset and Inventory Tracking you can create an inventory of your client's Windows, Mac and Linux devices.
When you install the Agent on a device, the agent runs an asset scan to gather the hardware and software information from the device and uploads the results to the Asset Tracking Dashboard.
The Asset Tracking scan runs once per day (at a random time before 11:00 local time on the machine). It polls various indicators including WMI (MsiGetProductInfoW) and the registry (Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Uninstall/) in Windows to compile the inventory information.
You can view asset inventory information from:
- Asset Tracking Dashboard
- N-sight RMM Dashboard South-pane Assets tab
- N-sight RMM Dashboard South-pane Summary tab
- Asset Tracking Reports
The Asset Tracking Dashboard and associated Reports will show the hostname of the device rather than the Monitoring and Management device name that may have been assigned when installing the Monitoring Agent in server mode.
Using Asset and Inventory Tracking, you can:
- Create Software License Groups to identify if a client exceeds their product licenses or create a Banned Software Group where any occurrence of the offending product is recorded as a failure. For information, see Software License Groups and Banned Software
- Determine whether devices require a Microsoft update based on discovered Installed Hotfixes and Installed Updates
- Add custom fields to record information such as the care pack numbers, contract renewal and warranty expiry dates
Use the information to troubleshoot by identifying whether a change to the systems hardware or software configuration led to an issue. For example, the installation of incompatible software or the removal of required software.
The Asset Tracking hardware and software inventory information is only uploaded when a change is detected on the device. Any reference to Last Modified on the Dashboard reflects when this updated data was uploaded, as opposed to the last scan on the local machine.
What do you want to do?