Uninstall the Windows Agent
If you no longer want to monitor a server or workstation, we recommend you remove the Agent from the device. To remove the Agent from a device or multiple devices, you can use the following methods:
To remove a device, you must be logged in using an account with the General Settings (Devices) permissions enabled. Otherwise the delete option is unavailable.
- Automatically Uninstall the Agent
- Manually Uninstall the Agent
- Uninstall the Agent using the Group Policy Object
- Silently uninstall the Agent using the Command Line
Dashboard deletion or Agent Uninstalls are non-recoverable actions. When you confirm a deletion, all information stored in relation to the Client, Site or Device(s) is instantly removed from the database and the data is unretrievable.
Ensure that you verify the correct item is selected for removal before you enter the password and confirm the deletion.
Any features and associated Checks deployed by the Agent are removed as part of the uninstall process. This can result in a longer than anticipated uninstall time as each of these programs is removed along with the Agent.
Use the Agent Removal Alerts to receive a notification when Agent removal is completed through a non-Dashboard method. For example, a manual uninstall.
When you delete a device, that action is recorded in the Dashboard User Audit Report. The User Audit Report includes the date/time of the removal, the username, the details of the action, and the Event type such as, Agent Uninstalled Manually from Device.
Automatically Uninstall the Agent
When you delete a device from the Dashboard, the Agent is also uninstalled. Automatic removal includes Agents installed via Group Policy.
- On the N-sight RMM Dashboard North-pane, go to the Servers, Workstations or Mixed tab
- Multi-select the target devices (Shift and left-click for a range, Control and left-click for specific devices)
- Right-click one of the selection
- Select Delete from Dashboard
If Windows Agent Uninstall Protection is enabled, select Delete <device-type> > Delete from Dashboard.
- Verify the number of devices to be deleted
- Enter the password you used to log into the N-sight RMM Dashboard to confirm deletion
- Click OK to apply
Depending on the Agent cycle, and the features installed, the removal process may take over an hour to complete.
Manually Uninstall the Agent
To uninstall the Agent from a device when you are logged into that device:
If Windows Agent Uninstall Protection is enabled, it locks local Agent uninstalls by requiring an uninstall code to authorize removal. For information about retrieving the uninstall code, see Windows Agent Uninstall Protection.
- Log in to the computer
- Go to Add/Remove Programs
- Select Advanced Monitoring Agent
- Uninstall to remove the Agent and all associated programs
- Uninstall or upgrade choose whether to completely remove the Agent or perform an upgrade uninstall (removes the program's files, retains the configuration settings for use by the Agent if it is reinstalled on the device)
- Click OK to confirm the Agent uninstall
- C:\Program Files\Advanced Monitoring Agent
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Advanced Monitoring Agent (x64 OS)
Uninstall the Agent using the Group Policy Object
If the Agent was installed over Group Policy, the Agent must be uninstalled using the existing Group Policy Object. Otherwise, the Group Policy may detect the Agent as uninstalled and attempt to reinstall it the next time it runs.
If you automatically uninstall the Agent using Delete Device on the Dashboard, then Agents installed via Group Policy are removed.
In either the Group Policy Management Console or Active Directory Users and Computers, depending upon the method used to create the policy:
- Highlight the required Group Policy Object
- Edit to open the Group Policy Editor
- Navigate to the location of the MSI
- Expand Policies (SBS2008), Software Settings and Software Installation
- Right-click the Package in the main Window
- Click All Tasks > Remove
- Select Immediately uninstall the software from users and computers
- Click OK
- Exit out of the Group Policy Editor
To ensure the Agent uninstalls successfully, do not remove or change the permission of the software distribution point to ensure this location is accessible by the Agent uninstaller, for example the directory NetworkInstaller.
If the deployment folder is not accessible, a silent uninstall command may be used to uninstall the Agent.
Silently uninstall the Agent using the Command Line
If the Agent was installed manually or via the Remote Worker, you may need to remove it silently.
If Windows Agent Uninstall Protection is enabled, silent uninstall fails. For more information, see Windows Agent Uninstall Protection.
- Login to the device
- Open a command prompt (Windows key + r then enter cmd)
- Enter the removal command based on the Operating System architecture (32 or 64-bit).
"C:\Program Files\Advanced Monitoring Agent\winagent" /removequiet
or, depending on you Agent installation:
"C:\Program Files\Advanced Monitoring Agent GP\winagent" /removequiet
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Advanced Monitoring Agent\winagent" /removequiet
or, depending on you Agent installation:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Advanced Monitoring Agent GP\winagent" /removequiet