Uninstall the Mac Agent
If no longer required you can remove the Remote Monitoring and Management Agent from the Mac computer.
Mac Agent 1.2.0 (or later) automatically uninstalls when the device is deleted from the Dashboard or you can manually remove the Agent from the computer.
The User Audit Report, available from the Dashboard Reports menu, records information on device deletions. This includes the Date/Time of removal, the Client, Site and Device Details in addition to the Username and action, for example: Agent Uninstalled Manually from Device.
Use the Agent Removal Alerts to receive a notification when Agent removal is through a non-Dashboard method. For example, a manual uninstall.
Dashboard deletion or Agent Uninstalls are non-recoverable actions. Once confirmed, any information stored in relation to the Client, Site or Device(s) is instantly removed from the database and the data is unretrievable. Please verify the correct item is selected for removal before entering the password and confirming deletion.
Automatic Agent Uninstall (from Mac Agent 1.2.0)
Where Mac Agent 1.2.0 is installed on the device, deleting the computer from the Dashboard also uninstalls the Agent.
The Dashboard deletion options are available when logged in using an account with General Settings (Devices) permissions enabled.
- Log into the Dashboard
- Go to the Workstations or Mixed pane
- Multi-select the devices for removal (Shift and left-click for a range, Control and left-click for specific devices)
- Right-click on one of the selection or from the Workstations or Devices drop-down
- Choose the Delete option, for example Delete Workstations
- Review the device removal information
- Enter the password of the account you have logged into the Dashboard under to confirm deletion
- Click OK to apply
Depending on the Agent cycle, the Agent removal process may take over an hour to complete.
Pre-Agent v1.2.0 the Delete Device option simply removes the entries for the device from the database, it does not remove the Agent from the device. The Agent will continue to run and attempt to upload data, which is rejected on our side as its Dashboard association was deleted. To fully remove the Agent from the computer a manual uninstall is required.
Automatically uninstall the Monitoring Agent for Windows and Mac provides further information on this functionality and Agent removal behavior.
Manual Agent uninstalls are communicated back and once received the device is removed from the Dashboard (if is was not already removed).
There are two options to manually remove the Agent from the computer:
- Rerun the Agent Installer and select Uninstall
- Run the uninstall.tool in Terminal (Command Line)
- Go to the Downloads folder (available in the Finder sidebar or the Dock)
- Double-click on the Agent disk image file (for example. OSX_AGENT_*_*_*.DMG)
- Select Uninstall
- Review the warning information and proceed
- Enter the computer user Password when prompted
- Click OK to begin the uninstall process
Where the Agent installer was removed to the bin, simply download another installation package from the Agent menu on the Dashboard.
Terminal (Command Line)
The Mac Agent uninstall.tool is contained in its installation directory, /usr/local/rmmagent
- Click Finder > Go > Utilities
- Double-click Terminal
- Navigate to the Mac Agent installation directory
- Run the uninstall.tool either as root or by assuming root privileges by sudo, providing the computer's password where prompted.
$ sudo ./uninstall.tool
Service rmmagentd not running
Advanced Monitoring Agent removed
$ cd /usr/local/rmmagent/
Although macOS supports the removal of apps via Trash or Launchpad, we do not recommend using these methods as they do not fully uninstall the Agent, and associated features, from the computer.
From Dashboard 2021.04.27, Mac computers are automatically unenrolled from Apple Device Management and any associated configuration profiles deleted when the Agent is uninstalled and the device removed from the Dashboard.
What do you want to do?