Generate the API Key
To create the N-sight RMM API Token used by RangerMSP for communication:
The API Key is used to authenticate against the Public API. If you generate a new key, anything that uses the existing key to authenticate against the Public API will stop working.
- Log in to the N-sight RMM Dashboard as a Superuser or (non-Classic) Administrator level access, or using a login with the required General permissions enabled, or using the Agent Key (if Dashboard access is enabled)
- Go to Settings > General Settings > API
- Click Generate (or Regenerate when you are creating a new API Key)
You can generate the API Key as often as required. Each regeneration overwrites the existing key.
- Enter the recipient email address in the Email API Token to (optional) field and click Email Token (Optional)
The sent email includes the API Key and the respective server URL to query.
- Select OK to apply
The database server to query is dependent on the territory your account is registered under. The current territories and respective URLs are:
Based on the above, a user in the United Kingdom uses the URL https://www.systemmonitor.co.uk/ and their query would be:
Determine API Server URL from Dashboard URL
If you are unsure of your Dashboard account territory:
- Look at the URL used to access your Dashboard as this may include a region reference, or
- If the URL does not mention a region, for example a custom domain, append /dashboard to one of above URLs and attempt login to your Dashboard at the prompt. Based on the United Kingdom this would look like: https://www.systemmonitor.co.uk/dashboard
- Where problems are still experienced determining the region from a custom Dashboard URL. Open a command prompt or terminal on the device. Then perform an nslookup on the custom Dashboard URL:
When requesting the API Key is sent from the Dashboard, the respective server URL is included in the email.