Install N-able N-central as a guest on an ESX/ESXi 6.0 or newer server
VMWare Tools are no longer required to be install on the N-able N-central VM. As per VMware recommendations for Enterprise Linux 7, the OpenVM Tools are included with the Operating System.
- Create a new virtual machine using the following settings:
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 (64-bit)
Do not enable paravirtualization.
Boot Options Select UEFI Firmware (Legacy BIOS is also supported).
Size according to tables in the System Requirements.
VMXNET3 with a static MAC address.
- Mount a disk or network file system to access the installation CD .ISO image.
Ensure that the VMware guest is configured to use the mounted disk or network file system as a boot disk.
- Start the new VM.
- If the Press the <ENTER> key to install N-central prompt displays, click Enter.
- Click Enter to Install N-able N-central unless you want to test the physical media or need to install in text only mode (usually if you are using a serial console). Otherwise select the desired boot option and click Enter.
After a few moments, you should be prompted to provide the N-able N-central network settings. If you are not prompted to provide the network settings, N-able N-central was unable to locate a suitable network card. Turn off the server and verify the network card before re-trying the N-able N-central installation.
- Select which IP stack/s you need to enable (IPv4 only, or both IPv4 and IPv6). Click Tab to highlight OK and click Enter.
- Select your IPv4 network configuration. N-able recommends using a Static IPv4 Address. Tab to OK and click Enter.
- If you selected to use a dual stack configuration, select your IPv6 network configuration. N-able recommends using a Static IPv6 Address. Tab to OK and click Enter.
- If you selected a Static IPv4 Address configuration, enter the IP Address, Netmask, Gateway and Nameservers (CloudFlare’s 126.96.36.199 has been pre-populated by default). Tab to OK and click Enter.
- If you selected a Static IPv6 Address configuration, on the next screen enter the IP Address, Prefix Length (/64 is the most common), Gateway, and Nameservers (CloudFlare’s 188.8.131.52 has been pre-populated by default). Select OK and click Enter.
- On the next page, select your desired Time Zone. Tab to OK and click Enter.
Be sure to Adjust the Time Zone to match your desired location. If you are restoring a N-able N-central Backup, the Time Zone must be an exact match to the server from which you are restoring the Backup.
If your location is not listed, be sure to select a location that is in the same time zone as you are.
- The Operating System Installer will now launch. No further input is required on the server console. When the install completes, please go to the indicated web URL to continue configuring N-able N-central.
With N-able N-central installed: