Install N-able N-central as a guest on an ESX/ESXi 6.0 or newer server
VMWare Tools are no longer required to be installed on the N-able N-central VM. As per VMware recommendations for Enterprise Linux 7, the OpenVM Tools are included with the Operating System.
- Create a new virtual machine using the following settings:
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 (64-bit)
Do not enable paravirtualization.
Boot Options Select UEFI Firmware (Legacy BIOS is also supported).
Size according to tables in the System Requirements.
VMXNET3 with a static MAC address.
- Mount a disk or network file system to access the installation CD .ISO image.
Ensure that the VMware guest is configured to use the mounted disk or network file system as a boot disk.
- Start the new VM.
- If the Press the <ENTER> key to install N-central prompt displays, click Enter.
- Click Enter to Install N-able N-central unless you want to test the physical media or need to install in text only mode (usually if you are using a serial console). Otherwise select the desired boot option and click Enter.
After a few moments, you should be prompted to provide the N-able N-central network settings. If you are not prompted to provide the network settings, N-able N-central was unable to locate a suitable network card. Turn off the server and verify the network card before re-trying the N-able N-central installation.
- Select which IP stack/s you need to enable (IPv4 only, or both IPv4 and IPv6). Click Tab to highlight OK and click Enter.
- Select your IPv4 network configuration. N-able recommends using a Static IPv4 Address. Tab to OK and click Enter.
- If you selected to use a dual stack configuration, select your IPv6 network configuration. N-able recommends using a Static IPv6 Address. Tab to OK and click Enter.
- If you selected a Static IPv4 Address configuration, enter the IP Address, Netmask, Gateway and Nameservers (CloudFlare’s 126.96.36.199 has been pre-populated by default). Tab to OK and click Enter.
- If you selected a Static IPv6 Address configuration, on the next screen enter the IP Address, Prefix Length (/64 is the most common), Gateway, and Nameservers (CloudFlare’s 188.8.131.52 has been pre-populated by default). Select OK and click Enter.
- On the next page, select your desired Time Zone. Tab to OK and click Enter.
Be sure to Adjust the Time Zone to match your desired location. If you are restoring a N-able N-central Backup, the Time Zone must be an exact match to the server from which you are restoring the Backup.
If your location is not listed, be sure to select a location that is in the same time zone as you are.
- The Operating System Installer will now be launched. No further input is required on the server console. When the install completes, please go to the indicated web URL to continue configuring N-able N-central.
With N-able N-central installed: