Renew Apple Push Certificate
The email address entered in the Add an Apple Push Certificate section receives a renewal notification before the certificate’s expiration date. To ensure continued coverage, we recommend you renew the certificate within the 30 days prior to the expiration date.
When a Push Notification Certificate expires, Apple requires a new certificate. If you have to add a new certificate rather than renew one, you must re-enroll your devices in Device Management for Apple.
The association between existing devices and Device Management for Apple may be broken and the service interrupted if:
- The certificate expires
- A different Apple ID is used to renew the certificate
- An option other than Renew is selected for the certificate in the Apple Push Certificates Portal
If any of the above three scenarios occur, to maintain service continuity you must upload a new certificate to Device Management for Apple, and all devices enrolled in Device Management for Apple must be unenrolled at the device and then enrolled again using the new certificate.
To renew an Apple Push Notification Certificate, follow these steps:
On the N-sight RMM Vertical menu, select Device Management for Apple
- On the Push Certificates tab, select the certificate to renew
- Select Renew certificate from the top menu or from the Action menu
- Choose Renew Certificate (Recommended) this renews your existing certificate and ensures uninterrupted coverage
Enter the Apple ID (email address) to create the Certificate Signing Request (CSR) against. Use the client’s Apple ID if setting up their certificate
- Click Download CSR to store the .csr file locally and click Next
If you choose Create new certificate, all devices currently enrolled with the existing certificate will need to be re-enrolled to use this new certificate.
- Click the Apple Push Certificates Portal link to renew your certificate
- Sign into the Apple Push Certificates Portal with the same Apple ID used to create the current certificate (if required)
- Locate the expiring RMM Mobile Device Management certificate under, Certificates for Third-Party Servers
- Click Renew (do not select Revoke)
- Under Renew Push Certificate, click Choose file to navigate to the location of the .csr file and click Open
- Enter any relevant information in the Notes field and click Upload
The Confirmation screen provides information on the Service, Vendor, and the certificate's Expiration Date
- Click Download to retrieve a copy of the certificate (.pem file)
- Return to N-sight RMM and click Next
- Drag and drop the Apple Push Notification certificate (.pem) file into the main window or use browse to navigate to the file and select it
- Click Finish
- Review the confirmation message
Information about the certificate including its expiration date and number of days to renewal is displayed
What do you want to do?