Backup Network Shares - Windows
To configure Cove Data Protection (Cove) to backup data from Network Shares. You must configure the Network Shares data source on the Backup Manager.
- Launch the Backup Manager for the device you wish to backup Network Shares from
- Navigate to the Backup tab
- Click Add for the Network Shares data source under Available Sources
- The Backup Selection: Network Shares box will appear, click Add on this
- You must now provide the following information about the network share:
- Path - This is the network share location: a full network path to the root folder of the network share or to a particular directory
- Domain - Add the domain name. If the computer belongs to a Windows network domain, you need to specify that domain (for example, COMPANY.COM). If there is no domain, you can leave the field blank in most cases. On some networks, however, you will need to enter the host name of the target machine (for example, WORKSTATION-PC)
- User - Enter the user account name of an account that has "read" permissions to the directories intended for backup (it will be necessary to scan the file tree and get file content)
- Password - Enter the user account password of the user account name that has "read" permissions to the directories intended for backup (it will be necessary to scan the file tree and get file content)
- Once added, click save
- The Backup Selection: Network Shares window will update with a directory breakdown of data to select. You must make a selection of files or folders before saving and closing by placing a check mark in the box to the left of each folder
- Click save
- Now that the selection is configured, move to the Preferences tab then Schedule to configure the schedule for the backups
- Now select Add Schedule
- Give the schedule a name - make this something relevant to the backup configured such as "FS, SS & NetShares 9pm"
- If you have created any scripts, these can be selected to run before the backup (Pre-backup) or after the backup (Post-backup) by selecting them from the given dropdowns (Optional)
- Set the time for the backup to run
- Choose the days on which you want the backup to run
- Select the data sources to backup (ensuring that Network Shares is selected)
- Click Save
You may now either run the initial backup manually by selecting Run Backup, or wait for the backup to run as per the schedule configured.
Instructions on restoring data from this data source can be found on Recovering data in Backup Manager.