Create AMP-based Custom Monitoring Services
An Automation Manager Policy (AMP), is a collection of Powershell-based Automation Objects combined into policy scripts. N-able N-central comes with many AMPs already created but also provides you with the Automation Manager, a drag-and-drop automation designer, which enables you to quickly and easily create, edit, run, debug, and manage policies without any programming knowledge. For information on using the pre-defined AMPs and creating your own using the Automation Manager, see Using Automation Manager.
You can create custom services using AMPs that have global output parameters. You can set the thresholds for these parameters to facilitate N-able N-central features, such as notifications and self-healing.
Amp-based monitoring is only available for professional licensed Windows devices.
- Click Administration > Service Management > Custom Services.
- Click Add, select Service, then Automation Manager Policy.
- Enter a Name and a Description for this Custom Service.
- On the Details tab, click the Select Automation Policy drop-down menu and select the required policy. AMPs that are suitable for monitoring appear.
- You can add a Service Identifier to uniquely identify this use of the AMP as a service.
- The output parameter for the AMP are listed on the Thresholds tab. Depending on the AMPs outputs these will be:
- String evaluations, where you can test if a string value occurs in the parameter and display the state of Normal, Warning or Failed accordingly.
- Ranges, where you can set the range that the value must be in to display the state of Normal, Warning, or Failed.
You have now created a very simple AMP service. You can add this service to a template or to any Windows server or workstation as described in Apply Custom Monitoring Services.