My Mail Assure Bill is higher than I expected
Wed May 24 12:45 GMT 2023
- My Mail Assure Bill is higher than I expected
- The Mail Assure invoice is higher than expected, with more mailboxes being billed for, than are in use.
- Mail Assure
Mail Assure and your mail server must be configured correctly for accurate invoicing.
- By default, Mail Assure will filter every email received (inbound and outbound) - this can result in inaccurate invoicing, as the invoice is for the number of filtered or archived mailboxes.
- To check what is being charged for, this is listed after the summary on the product invoice.
- To check for correct configuration (per domain):
- Navigate to Domains Overview.
- Select the domain with higher usage than expected.
- Select "Mailboxes configuration"
- Ensure all valid mailboxes and aliases are added to the Mailboxes and Aliases tabs.
- On the Configuration tab:
- Enable "Reject email to mailboxes not listed in the "Mailboxes" tab".
- Alternatively, using LDAP or Microsoft 365 synchronisation tools, will populate the valid mailboxes and aliases list.
- When the lists are populated, in conjunction with "Reject email to mailboxes not listed in the "Mailboxes" tab", This will ensure accurate billing.
- Any other settings will cause mail to be accepted for ANY address confirmed as valid by the receiving server.
- This "Catchall" behaviour is enabled by default on many servers/services.
- This must be disabled to work with any external systems which validate mailbox addresses.
- Mailboxes that have filtering disabled, are configured as an alias, or are marked as a distribution list or shared mailbox, will be excluded from billing.
We strongly recommend disabling any catch all functionality on all receiving mail servers