Adding Domains and Mailboxes via Microsoft 365 sync
Please check the Requirements, Limitations and What is configured during sync, so that you are fully aware of the feature before beginning.
- Log in as an Admin level user, via the securemail.management link
- Using the side menu on the left of the page, navigate to General > Domains Overview
- Select Microsoft 365 Configure Sync which can be found just below the page description
You will now be taken to the Configure Microsoft 365 Sync wizard.
- Select an existing Admin to associate the new Domain to using dropdown or create a new Admin user by typing the new Admin name in the free text box, then selecting it from the dropdown list. Click Connect on the wizard.
Ensure your browser is configured to allow pop-ups from Mail Assure before clicking on Connect in the wizard as you will need to authenticate to Microsoft 365 via a pop-up window for security purposes.
- Log in to your Microsoft 365 Global Administrator account
- Now accept the permissions for the Mail Assure Microsoft 365 sync. This connection is to allow the wizard to collect the domain and mailbox information
If you check Mail Assure at this time, you will see that Microsoft is processing the connection with a page that looks like the below:
- Once you see the wizard has connected, click Next
- Select the domain(s) you wish to configure through the Microsoft 365 sync
- Then select the Region for the storage location and the synchronization frequency
The region selected will be used for the data storage location and applies only to newly added domains.
The frequency times you may choose from are:
- Every 4 hours (this is the default)
- Every 1 hour
- Every 12 hours
- Every day
- Every week
- Choose whether to disable Auto-sync (this is on by default) to receive a notification email listing all changes for you to approve and manually sync. The notification emails also include a link to "Turn off these email notifications" through the Microsoft 365 sync notifications page.
- Click Next
- Now select the Mailbox(es) you wish to sync and click Next
In here, you will see the domain the mailbox(es) belong to, the full primary email address, mailbox type and if there are any mailbox aliases.
Any mailboxes not selected will be imported as unfiltered mailboxes and will not be able to send email through the filter.
If you wish to select all items on a page or all items on all pages, click the arrow beside the Display Name column and click Select all items on all pages or Select all items on this page.
- Now set the configuration for all the selected mailbox(es) selected and click Next
In here you can:
- Incoming Filtering - If enabled, all inbound email will be filtered
- Email Scout Reports - If enabled, Email Scout Reports will be automatically enabled so that they are sent to each recipient in your domain, up to 3 times a day
- Outgoing Filtering - If enabled, all outbound email will be filtered
- Email archiving - If enabled, a backup of all your organizations mail will be taken
- Private Portal - If enabled, a series of Private Portal policies will be created automatically to send emails with 'Private' or 'Confidential' in the subject, or if sensitive data is found, will be sent to Private Portal
- Microsoft SSO access - If enabled, email users will be able to log in using their own Microsoft SSO credentials
- Timezone - Set the timezone the domain is based in
- Date format - Select a date format
- Time Format - Select a time format
- Review your settings in the summary page and click Confirm. Here you will see a breakdown of the number of each mailbox type selected, the number of domains found and how many of these were selected, and all of the synchronization and configuration settings selected through step 10 and step 13
If any changes are required, you can navigate back to the part of the wizard required by either clicking the breadcrumbs along the top of the screen, or Edit beside the specific section.
- Once confirmed, you will see the banner will change to say Mailboxes synchronization successfully started and you may now close the wizard
Syncing the onmicrosoft.com domain is strongly encouraged. It is used by Microsoft for email addresses and groups email aliases. If you deselect this here, a warning notification will be displayed to advise.
Once the wizard is closed, the Domains Overview page will refresh and you will see the domains added during the Microsoft 365 sync now showing in your list.
There may be a slight delay with population of the Domains and Mailboxes.
When checking the Mailboxes list from Mailboxes Overview, you will find all Microsoft 365 mailboxes. The mailboxes that were selected during sync will show the selected services are enabled. Any that were not selected through the sync will show the services set to No.
The Columns to be Displayed dropdown can be used to display all the service columns to confirm the services selected during the sync.
After completing the above configuration, you will need to apply several further changes outside the Microsoft 365 sync both in and outside of Mail Assure in order to ensure that mail filtering and archiving services (where applicable) are configured correctly. Please see our Next Steps section for these details.