Pre-backup settings for Hyper-V
The following settings must be configured before creating the backup selection and schedule to set the Backup of the Hyper-V VM or host.
For SMB 3.0 shares used as storage for Hyper-V
Starting from Backup Manager version 16.5, it is possible to back up and restore Hyper-V machines that have some or all of their virtual disks on an SMB 3.0 share.
The following conditions must be met before you start backing up such a virtual machine.
- The Hyper-V host and the SMB3 server must belong to the same Active Directory domain
- The File Server VSS Agent Service must be installed on the SMB3 server
- The network share on the SMB3 server must be created with the "Applications" profile (under Select Profile, select SMB Share — Applications
See Microsoft instructions for detailed instructions
- The Hyper-V host (namely its Local System account) must have full access to the network share (the Permissions step of the installation wizard)
See this Microsoft article for detailed instructions
Increasing backup speed (optional)
To take advantage of the best possible backup speed, you can enable the volume snapshot integration service (also referred to as the volume checkpoint in the newer versions of Hyper-V).
This lets the Backup Manager use the help of native VSS writers during backups. This improves backup speed and reduces the amount of data transmitted to the cloud.
- Start the Hyper-V Manager
- Right-click the virtual machine you want to back up
- Choose Settings from the context menu
- Go to Management > Integration services
- Enable the Backup (volume checkpoint) option or Backup (volume snapshot) depending on the version of Hyper-V