Decrypt a single device
You can decrypt and remove Disk Encryption Manager from a single device. Note that when you decrypt a device, you remove all encryption from all drives. If you need to re-enable encryption, you need to run the encryption process again.
To decrypt on many devices, see Decrypt multiple devices.
- Click View > All Devices and click the name of the device.
- Click Settings > Security Manager.
- Click to clear the check box for Enable Disk Encryption.
- You have the option to Leave the device encrypted or Decrypt all volumes.
- Select whether to run the decryption right away or during a maintenance window when the device is not in use.
- Click Save.
Bitlocker is natively part of the device system. If you chose to remove the Disk Encryption Manager from a device and leave the disk encrypted, you will lose the management capabilities. Ensure you collect all recovery keys before choosing this option. You should ALWAYS obtain the recovery key. N-able does not store or backup recovery keys. If something goes wrong with the decryption, and you removed the device from N-able N-central, there is no way to recall the recovery keys or unlock the drive. N-able N-central stores deleted device recovery keys for 90 days.
BitLocker begins the decryption process on the disk drives of the device. The user will see a message indicating that the decryption process has started.