The Content Control module provides a means to restrict what users can access and send over the Internet. This includes:
- Access to the internet. Set what sites or site content is accessible and when. You can restrict sites that involve gambling, mature themes, shopping and other sites that are either controversial or not appropriate for the workplace. For some sites, you can restrict access to them during working hours, but have them available during lunch or after work viewing, such as shopping or videos.
- Applications to use and their data. Block applications and some of their data access. For example, some applications for doing non-work specific functions, or some local games. Like the web sites, you can also set a schedule when applications can be used.
- Sensitive data. Some information in a company should not be shared outside of the office, such as personnel information, phone numbers and credit card numbers. You can prevent that information from leaving the local network. You can use the rules to prevent data from being entered in email messages or HTTP sites.
This module is only available for latop/workstation security profiles.
For this module to work properly, enable the Network Scan Module.
- Click Configuration > Security Manager > Profiles.
- Click Add, or click on an existing profile to edit.
- Click View Settings beside the Content Control module.
- Click Enable Content Control.
- In the Enable Components area, select the content types to control.
- Click the Internet Control tab and select the type of access and the web filtering category to enable.
- Click the Applications tab and define the application and parameters, and whether to block, allow or set a scheduled time when the application is accessible.
To block access to an application, click Add. Specify the path to the application executable file on the target devices.
- Choose from the menu a predefined location and complete the path as needed in the edit field. For example, for an application installed in the Program Files folder, select %ProgramFiles and complete the path by adding a backslash (\) and the name of the application folder.
- From the Action menu, select to block, allow or Schedule. When selecting Schedule, select the times when the application will be blocked.
- Click Add.
- Click the Data Protection tab and define what information can and cannot leave the company.
- Click Add.
- Enter the name of the data protection rule and select the type of data from the drop-down menu.
Enter the data you want to protect (for example, the phone number of a company executive or the internal name of a new product the company is working on). Any combination of words, numbers or strings consisting of alphanumerical and special characters (such as @, # or $) is accepted. Make sure to enter at least five characters in order to avoid the mistaken blocking of email messages and web pages.
- Click Save.
If you select Block all Internet access, the agent cannot connect to the sis.n-able.com server for updates to AVDefender or download patch updates.