Spam Experts's outgoing filtering solution operates independently from the incoming email filtering and is used to relay outgoing mail from your server, through Spam Experts and to the recipient.
Requirements & Limitations
Relaying through the outbound filter has some requirements for mail to be accepted:
In addition to the configuration of relay addresses and outbound authentication, the SMTP From addresses used to send mail must also be able to receive mail. If a sender address returns a failure to an inbound recipient callout, the outbound message/connection will be rejected.
Steps to Configure
Outgoing mail filtering includes several aspects that require configuration:
- Create the Outgoing User - Create an outgoing authentication user/method to authenticate all outgoing mail against
- Configure the Abuse Report Address - Set up an abuse report address to be informed every time an outgoing sender's message is rejected
- Configure Outgoing Delivery IP (Local Cloud Only) - Set up an outbound delivery IP address for your senders
This is relevant only to Local Cloud customers and is optional
- Set up SPF - Configure the Sender Policy Framework used to restrict which mail servers are allowed to send email for your domain name
- Set up DMARC - Set up the DMARC record on the DNS to choose the policy or action taken to messages that fail the DMARC check
- Set up DKIM - Set up a DKIM record to sign messages and help authenticate the senders as much as possible
- Outbound Filtering Hostnames - Configure your SMTP Hostname to use the correct ports and SPF records
- Outgoing License Size - Check the number of licenses is appropriate for the number of outgoing domains