Renew Apple Push Notification Certificate
The email address entered in the Add a new Apple Push Notification Certificate (also covers certificate renewal) section receives a renewal notification before the certificate’s expiration date. However, to ensure continued coverage the certificate can be renewed at any time before the expiration date.
When renewing a certificate, you must log into the Apple Push Certificates Portal with the same Apple ID used to create the current certificate and select the Renew option.
The association between existing devices and Apple Device Management may be broken and the service interrupted where:
The certificate expires
A different Apple ID is used to renew the certificate
An option other than Renew is selected for the certificate in the Apple Push Certificates Portal
To maintain service continuity in these scenarios it will be necessary to upload a new certificate to Apple Device Management. Apple Device Management must be then removed and reinstalled on existing devices to use the new certificate.
Steps to Renew an Apple Push Notification Certificate
- Log into your Dashboard then go to Settings > Apple Device Management > Certificates.
- Click on Renew. Enter the email address to receive certificate expiry notifications.
- Click the Download CSR button to store the .csr file locally.
As this email address also receives certificate expiry alerts we suggest using an active generic email address to ensure renewal notifications have multiple recipients.
- Click on the Apple Push Certificates Portal link to log into the Apple portal and renew a certificate.
- Sign into the Apple Push Certificates Portal with the same Apple ID used to create the current certificate.
- Locate the expiring RMM Mobile Device Management certificate under "Certificates for Third-Party Servers".
- Click Renew (do not select "Revoke")
- Under Renew a New Push Certificate, Choose file or Browse to the location of the .csr file, enter any relevant information in the Notes field and click Upload.
- The Confirmation screen provides information on the Service, Vendor, and the certificate's Expiration Date.
- Click Download to retrieve a copy of the certificate (.pem file).
- Drag and drop the Apple Push Notification certificate (.pem) into the main window or use browse to navigate to its location.
- Click Upload Certificate.
- Review the confirmation message and the process’s next steps.
- Click Finish to view information about the certificate including its expiration date and number of days to renewal.
- Click Exit to return to the main Dashboard view.
What do you want to do?