Remove an MDM Enrollment Profile directly from a device
You can remove an MDM enrollment profile directly from:
To perform a clean removal on macOS computers running Apple Device Management, we recommend you first uninstall the Mac Agent and then delete the MDM enrollment profile from the device. For more information, see Uninstall the Mac Agent.
If you remove the MDM enrollment profile from a device that is still running the Mac Agent and Apple Device Management, the end user is prompted to enroll the MDM profile again (if Apple Device Management is configured to automatically enroll Mac devices).
To remove an MDM enrollment profile from a macOS computer, you have three options. You can use System Preferences or Terminal (command line) to remove a specific MDM enrollment profile, or you can use Terminal (command line) to remove all MDM enrollment profiles.
- On the macOS computer, click the Apple menu icon then go to System Preferences > Profiles
- Select your MDM Management enrollment Profile
- Click on the minus icon to begin the removal process
Click Remove, if prompted to confirm removal
Please note that for Apple Device Management only the main MDM enrollment profile is removable. Deleting this profile also removes any associated Device Profiles, for example "Backup Manager PPPC".
Terminal (Command Line) - remove a specific MDM Enrollment Profile
- Click Finder > Go > Utilities
- Double-click Terminal
- To display a list of installed profiles, run the following command either as root or by assuming root privileges by sudo, entering the admin user's password when prompted:
$ sudo profiles list
_computerlevel attribute: profileIdentifier: com.example.mav.tcc
_computerlevel attribute: profileIdentifier: com.example.takecontrol.tcc
_computerlevel attribute: profileIdentifier: com.example.rmmagent.tcc
There are 3 system configuration profiles installed
- Run the following command with the name of the profile you want to remove:
$ sudo profiles remove -identifier <profile_name>
$ sudo profiles remove -identifier com.example.mav.tcc
Depending on its settings, a profile may be unremovable using Terminal. In that situation, you must use the N-sight RMM Dashboard to remove the profile. For information, see Remove profiles using N-sight RMM.
Terminal (Command Line) - remove all MDM Enrollment Profiles
- On the macOS computer, click Finder > Go > Utilities
- Double-click Terminal
- Run the profiles remove -all command either as root or by assuming root privileges by sudo, entering the admin user's password when prompted:
$ sudo /usr/bin/profiles remove -all
When you Delete a mobile device from the Dashboard, the MDM enrollment profile is removed. However, you can remove an MDM enrollment profile from an iOS device if required.
Use this task to remove an MDM enrollment profile from an Apple TV. Exact menu names may differ. For example, VPN & Device Management may be simply Device Management.
To remove an MDM enrollment profile from an iOS device:
- On the iOS device, go to Settings > General > Profiles or VPN & Device Management
- Select your MDM Management Profile
- Click Removal Management or Remove Profile
- Authorize the removal
- Confirm removal when prompted
What do you want to do?