User management in Backup Management Console
Users (or user accounts) are required for access to the Console and other Cloud services.
- There are several user roles. They make it possible to differentiate access to data and features within a company.
- Partners can have an unlimited number of users.
The following user roles are available:
- Reporter – a legacy role that is not available for addition any longer. The permissions are the same as for the Supporter.
Starting from the 18.4 release, SuperUsers can be assigned more permissions (security officers). The feature is only available to resellers and end-customers.
Please see the table below for access permissions available to each of the roles.
|Task||SuperUser with security officer permissions||SuperUser||Administrator||Manager||Operator||Supporter & Reporter|
|Regular installation||Full access||Full access||No access||No access||No access||No access|
|Export of monthly device statistics||Full access||Full access||Full access||Full access||Full access||Full access|
|Generating passphrases||Full access||No access||No access||No access||No access||No access|
|Launching backup devices remotely||Full access||Full access||Full access||Full access||Full access||No access|
|Managing backup profiles||Full access||Full access||Full access||Read-only||Read-only||No access|
|Managing contact notes||Full access||Full access||Full access||Full access||Read-only||Read-only|
|Managing contacts||Full access||Full access||Full access||Read-only||Read-only||Read-only|
|Managing partners||Full access||Full access||Read-only||Read-only||Read-only||Read-only|
|Managing devices||Full access||Full access||Read-only||Full access||Read-only||Read-only|
|Managing Microsoft 365 domains||Full access||Full access||Read-only||Read-only||Read-only||Read-only|
|Managing products||Full access||Full access||Full access||Read-only||Read-only||No access|
|Managing security officers||Full access||No access||No access||No access||No access||No access|
|Managing users||Full access||Full access||Full access||Read-only||Read-only||Read-only|
|Managing views||Full access||Full access||Full access||Full access||Full access||Full access|
|Sending remote commands to devices||Full access||Full access||Full access||Full access||Full access||No access|
You can add new users for your own company and for your partners. Here are steps to follow:
- In the vertical menu, click User management.
- Click Add user.
- Fill out the fields as fully as you can
- Ensure that you check API Authentication if the user needs to be able to log in to the platform via an API call.
- Click Add to apply the changes.
If disabled, the user cannot log in to the platform via API. They will only be have access via the Web portal.
The owner of the new user account will get an email notification with a password setup link.
You can change any of the settings configured for a user except for the log-in name. Here is how to:
- Click the pen icon next to the name of the user you want to edit.
- Edit the settings as required and click Save to apply.
For extra security, users control password management.
To change their password the user goes to Login to the Backup Console, selects Forgot password? then enters the their email address to Reset your password.
Where this email address corresponds to a user in the system, we send an email notification containing a link to reset their password.
API Authentication can be enabled and disabled for users after they have been added through the edit user functionality.
Here is how to remove a user from the system:
- Click the trashcan icon next to the name of the user.
- Confirm your intention to proceed.
After that, it will not be possible to access the Console with the deleted user account. All people logged in under that account will be logged out within the next 15 minutes.
Managing security officers
The first SuperUser who logs in to the Console is immediately flagged as a security officer. Only security officers can manage other security officers including themselves.
To add a user with the security officer permissions, do the following:
- Log in to the Backup Management Console under a SuperUser account with security officer permissions.
- In the User Management module, click Add user.
- Set the user role to SuperUser, and then mark the Security officer checkbox.
- Click Add.
You can also grant or remove security officer permissions to existing SuperUsers if necessary (see Edit user dialogue).
Each partner of the reseller or end-customer level must have at least 1 security officer. You cannot delete the last security officer.
With the 18.11 release, users now log into the Backup Management Console through a Single Sign-On service.
Please visit Single Sign-On FAQs for further information.