If your customer chooses to stop using N-able Backup, as long as the device is not removed from the N-able N-central dashboard, the information can still be used to restore. You can only restore from data and data sources, such as Files and Folders or Hyper-V, that is still in retention and has not been cleaned.
If the data that needs to be restored is greater than the listed retention period for that device (28, 60, or 90 days), you will need to contact Technical Support to ensure the data is retrievable before attempting recovery.
The only restore after canceling the N-able Backup service is a system state restore.
You need to download backup recovery software and install it on the devices that require the data restore.
- Click Actions > Download Agent/Probe.
- Select the Third Party Software tab.
- In the N-able Backup Software area, click Recovery Console.
- Install the Recovery Console on the device where you want to perform data recovery.
- After the installation completes, launch the Recovery Console and click Add in the lower left corner.
- Enter the device name, password, and encryption key (security code).
- In N-able N-central, click the name of the deice in the All Devices view.
- Click the Settings > Backup Management > Retrieve Passphrase.
- A window appears with a passphrase to use as the encryption key (security code). Copy this information into the Recovery Console.
- You may wish to copy it into a simple text editor (such as Notepad) first, to strip any formatting characters.
- Use the passphrase in the Recovery Console, and click OK.
Follow the steps for a Virtual Disaster Recovery (if the entire Windows installation drive is backed up under Files and Folders, along with the System State data source), or you can restore data sources individually through Recovery Console.