Renew Apple Push Notification Certificate
The email address entered in the Add a new Apple Push Notification Certificate section receives a renewal notification before the certificate’s expiration date. However, to ensure continued coverage of the certificate, we recommend you renew the certificate within the 30 days prior to expiration date.
When a Push Notification Certificate expires, Apple requires a new certificate. If you have to add a new certificate rather than renew one, you must re-enroll your device in Device Management for Apple.
The association between existing devices and Device Management for Apple may be broken and the service interrupted if:
- The certificate expires
- A different Apple ID is used to renew the certificate
- An option other than Renew is selected for the certificate in the Apple Push Certificates Portal.
If any of the above three scenarios occur, to maintain service continuity you must upload a new certificate to Device Management for Apple, and all devices enrolled in Device Management for Apple must be un-enrolled at the device and then enrolled again using the new certificate.
To renew an Apple Push Notification Certificate:
- In the left-hand navigation menu, click Configuration > Device Management for Apple to view the Dashboard.
- Click Push Certificates.
- Select the certificate by clicking the check-box next to it.
- Select Renew Certificate from the top bar.
- Click Download CSR to store the .csr file locally and click Next.
- Click the Apple Push Certificates Portal link to renew your certificate.
- Sign into the Apple Push Certificates Portal with the same Apple ID used to create the current certificate (if required).
- Locate the expiring N-central Device Management for Apple certificate under, Certificates for Third-Party Servers.
- Click Renew (do not select Revoke).
- Under Renew Push Certificate, click Choose file to navigate to the location of the .csr file and click Open.
- Enter any relevant information in the Notes field and click Upload.
The Confirmation screen provides information on the Service, Vendor, and the certificate's Expiration Date.
- Click Download to retrieve a copy of the certificate (.pem file).
- Return to the N-central Dashboard and click Next.
- Drag and drop the Apple Push Notification certificate (.pem) file into the main window or use browse to navigate to the file and select it.
- Click Finish.
- Review the confirmation message.
Information about the certificate including its expiration date and number of days to renewal is displayed.
- Click the back button (<) to return to the main Dashboard view.