Add a discovery job for macOS devices
Use a Windows probe to locate devices on a customer's network. Discovery jobs can scan for macOS devices on the network, which can then be imported into N-able N-central for monitoring.
Probe-based discovery jobs cannot find a full list of asset data on Mac devices, so Mac device should not be part of recurring asset jobs if you are expecting asset data. After discovering Mac devices, allow the Mac agent to provide the asset data based on its daily asset scan.
To successfully distribute agent software to macOS devices, N-able N-central must be able to establish an SSH connection to the device, and it needs to use the root account credentials for the device. Providing macOS credentials will allow the discovery job to establish an SSH connection when it discovers a macOS device and install an agent.
- Click Actions > Run a Discovery.
- Enter a Name and Description of the job.
- Click the Devices to Discover tab and configure where the probe will search for devices.
- In the macOS Credentials area, click Add New Account to configure security credentials to be used to establish SSH sessions.
If multiple macOS credentials have been configured, the first set of enabled credentials will be used.
- Click the Auto Import tab to select the Device Classes that are imported into N-able N-central without user interaction.
- Click the Schedule tab and configure when the probe searches the network for new devices.
- Click Finish.
N-able recommends that you use Auto Import during the initial discovery of a target network. For recurring discovery jobs, do not use this feature. Use e-mail notifications to alert when new devices are discovered.
The probe will begin a discovery job as scheduled.