AV Defender uses an endpoint agent (epag.exe) module which may experience issues on 64-bit systems when the .NET Framework creates an incorrect value in the Windows Registry. In this situation, the following error message may be generated:
*** ERROR *** Failed to InitConnection. Error: Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040202
You can confirm that the managed device is experiencing this problem by performing the following:
- Create a .BAT file that contains the following command:
REG QUERY "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework" /v Enable64Bit
- Upload the .BAT file to N-able N-central and run it on the managed device from N-able N-central. For more information, see Adding Scripting Tasks.
- If the device is experiencing this issue, the script will return the following result:
Enable64Bit REG_SZ 1
- The problem is indicated by the returned phrase
REG_SZ. The problem is not present on the managed device if the returned phrase is
REG_DWORDas demonstrated by the following:
Enable64Bit REG_DWORD 0x1
To correct this:
- On the managed device, run the command
REG.EXE ADD HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework /v Enable64Bit /t REG_DWORD /d 0x1 /f
This can also be performed by running the command on the managed device as a .BAT file from N-able N-central as described above.
- Re-start the device.