How To: Upgrade N-able N-central
Thu Dec 01 13:50 GMT 2022
- This article describes how to upgrade your N-able N-central server.
- N-able N-central,.
- Prior to your upgrade, please visit the following link Software Downloads page for the version you are upgrading to, and make sure any bulletins are reviewed.
- Prior to your upgrade, please visit the following link Release Notes.
- Read all release notes for the upgrade, as well if you are skipping versions that you review the N-able N-central version in-between the upgrade.
- Additional notes before upgrade is to review the Known Issues list.
Be sure to capture a backup of your N-able N-central server. The steps below are also in the Release Notes and in the online help.
To capture a backup of the server:
- Login as email@example.com (Default Account, considered the System Account).
- Access Administration > System Backup and Restore > Download Backups in the left menu.
- There is an option in here to run the backup now, select this and allow to complete.
- Copy the backup to another location for recovery, if required.
- Once any Agents or Probes upgrade in the field, if you decide to roll back to a previous version of N-able N-central you will need to manually remove the updated Agent/Probe on the device and install the previous version.
- This is a very involved task and often is a barrier to being able to rollback versions.
Step 1 – Upgrade Preparation
- ACTION: Ensure that a copy of a N-able N-central backup is copied to a location off of your server (as noted above), including the digest file.
- The digest (SHA1) of the backup file should match the value contained in the corresponding *.sha1 file.
- This validates that the transfer was successful.
- RECOMMENDATION: Ensure that all Agents and Probes are set to “Never” upgrade:
- Login as a SO Admin or Product Admin.
- Navigate to Administration > Defaults > Appliance Settings (renamed to 'Agent & Probes Settings' in 12.1)
- Select the Upgrade tab.
- Select the dropdown for both Agent and Probes to Never.
- Select the Propagate check box.
- Select Save at the bottom of the page when complete.
- Additional tip: You may also want to disable notifications on the N-able N-central server to avoid any unnecessary notifications.
- This can be done from the SYSTEM level, under the settings Administrations > Mail Network Setting > Outbound Communication, and set the slider to off.
Step 2 – Upgrade to the latest version of N-able N-central – (Time depends on planned version, and server performance. 15min - 1 hour is typical).
- If performing a Multi-Step upgrade, it is a good idea to allow 5 hours for most servers to ensure database changes to complete.
- Most Supported versions of N-able N-central can upgrade directly to the latest release.
- Access the Software Download Center and download the upgrade version.
- To verify your current version from N-able N-central: Help > Version Information.
- Download the backup to your local system.
- Access your N-able N-central Administration Console.
- a. https://<FQDN-or-IP_ADDRESS> :10000 or https://<FQDN-or-IP_ADDRESS>/admin.
- Use the product admin account to login.
- Access the Version Management link and follow the steps on the screen.
- Select Install upgrade remotely.
- Browse to the file you downloaded in step 1.
- Enter an email address that you want to be notified on when the upgrade is complete.
- Notification will not be sent out if outbound communication is disabled as recommended in step 1.
- Click Install
- The file will upload to the server. Once it is complete, you will see a page that asks if you want to begin the upgrade. Click OK.
- At this point the upgrade will begin and the UI will be inaccessible for the duration of the upgrade
- Please be patient and do not reboot the server without speaking to someone in N-able Support first, if concerned about how long the upgrade is taking.
- Please be advised the server may reboot during the upgrade process in order to upgrade the Linux kernel, if part of the upgrade.
- The server may also reboot once the upgrade is complete, if required.
- Once you receive the completion email, you can log back into N-able N-central.
- If at any time you suspect there to be a problem, contact N-able Support for assistance and we can login to verify the status of the upgrade.
- Please also note, you will need to clear your browser cache after the upgrade in order to avoid the incorrect display of status icons.
- If you receive a notification about the upgrade failing please contact N-able Support and open an EMERGENCY case as soon as possible.
- Please leave the server as is and do not reboot the server.
- Many times the issue can be resolved by technical support, but a reboot can drastically reduce this possibility.
Step 3 – Upgrade Probes and Agents
- There is a 1 hour delay on upgrading agents and probes after upgrade.
- This allows N-able N-central to process the changes, and update the agents modules to allow for continued monitoring.
- On a customer by customer basis, go to Administration > Defaults > Appliance Settings > Upgrades. Set both options to Always and check off both of the Propagate boxes.
- Click Save. ('Appliance Settings' renamed to 'Agent & Probes Settings' in 12.1)
- For more Information on Upgrading Agents and Probes, see: Tips on Upgrading Agents and Probes
- We recommend doing this site by site to prevent overloading the N-able N-central server with upgrade requests.